Dec 19 2015

Holiday Dangers to Our Pets

As wonderful and festive as the holidays are, there are some hidden dangers out there for our pets that you may not think of right away.  Here are a few holiday items that we need to be mindful of around our pets.

1. TINSEL/GARLAND/RIBBON – While these things are beautiful and decorative, they can be very serious problems if your pet decides to eat them.  No, they aren’t poisonous, but they could possibly get wrapped around the tongue and/or anchored in the stomach making them unable to pass.  As the intestines contract and try to move the objects thru, they can actually start to cause severe damage to the intestinal tract.  This is an emergency and needs surgery right away.

2. HOLIDAY PLANTS – The pine needles on your Christmas tree can cause irritation in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.  Holly and Poinsettias can cause vomiting, diarrhea and depression.  But, the most dangerous plant for your pet is MISTLETOE!!  While it may get us humans a kiss, to our pets it can cause severe vomiting, difficulty breathing, fainting, erratic behavior, hallucinations and death.

3. FOOD – We all know chocolate is dangerous for our pets but not all chocolate is the same.  Different types of chocolate contain different levels of fat, caffeine and the substance methylxanthines.  Which is why if your dog eats a handful of milk chocolate M&M’s we may not be as concerned as if he/she were to eat a tiny piece of dark chocolate, such as Baker’s Chocolate, which carries a much higher risk of toxicity.  Depending on the type of chocolate ingested, your pet may experience vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, heart arrhythmias, tremors, seizures and possibly death.  Fat trimmings can cause pancreatitis; which most of the time earns them a stay in the hospital for a few days.  It is also important to know that Macadamia Nuts and moldy Chestnuts and Walnuts are toxic.

There are lots of things out there that can harm your beloved furry family member but if you take the concerned necessary precautions everyone will have a holly, jolly holiday!

If you do think your pets may have gotten into something they shouldn’t have, please contact Bellevue Animal Hospital at (419) 483-6345 or Sandusky Animal Hospital at (567) 256-3615 with any symptoms you may be concerned about and we will be glad to help you and your loved one out!

-Blog Post Written By Andrea Warner, RVT

reference: http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health/Top-5-Holiday-Dangers-to-Pets.aspx

bah44811 | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bellevue Hours
Monday8:00am – 6:00pm
Tuesday8:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday8:00am – 6:00pm
Thursday8:00am – 6:00pm
Friday8:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday9:00am – 12:00pm
SundayClosed

- For emergencies during regular business hours or emergencies at any time pertaining to a surgery performed by Bellevue Animal Hospital in the last 14 days, please contact: (419) 483-6345.

- We usually hold an educational staff meeting from 12pm - 3pm on the second or third Wednesday of each month. We will be closed during this time.

After Hours

Since we are unable to staff our hospitals 24 hours a day, please contact one of the emergency centers below. They will be able provide you and your pet with the after hours supervision and care you need.



Sandusky Hours
Monday8:00am – 6:00pm
Tuesday8:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday8:00am – 6:00pm
Thursday8:00am – 6:00pm
Friday8:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday9:00am – 12:00pm
SundayClosed

- For emergencies during regular business hours or emergencies at any time pertaining to a surgery performed by Sandusky Animal Hospital in the last 14 days, please contact: (567) 256-3615.

- We usually hold an educational staff meeting from 12pm - 3pm on the second or third Wednesday of each month. We will be closed during this time.